I just moved into a rented flat. Now what?

You have just signed a rental contract for the first time and have just moved into your new flat as a tenant. Are you in that situation? Then you may have had some doubts about what to do from now on.

You still have a few small steps to take after signing the rental contract.

But don’t worry, we’ll explain them in this post so you can get rid of them and enjoy your new home as a tenant as soon as possible.

Change the address on the DNI and invoices

If you have moved into a new rented flat, you will first have to carry out various formalities related to the change of address. For example, you should cancel all municipal services registered at your previous address and change them to the address of your new home.

In the same way, you have to notify your change of address in the public administrations. In fact, it is obligatory that the address that appears on all your official documents (National Identity Document, driving licence, passport, etc.) is up to date. Don’t let it pass!

Do not forget to notify the change of address in the service companies you have contracted: electricity, water, waste, telephone, internet… In short, you should notify the change in any organization, entity or association in which you are registered or registered.

Remember to register in your new flat

Another of the things we tend to miss when we move house is to update the data of the census. But keep in mind that until you register in your new flat, you will not be able, for example, to change your health center to one close to where you live now or to vote in the elections in your area.

Updating your census data becomes more important when you move to a different location than the one you used to live in. If you do not register in your new home, you will have to return to your old city to make many arrangements.

You also need to update the register data for many other things: Enroll your children in a school near your new home, to manage electricity, gas or telephone services or to request social assistance from the municipality.

I don’t like some things in my new home. Can I renovate my rental apartment?

Before starting a renovation or work on your new rental apartment, it is important that you are informed if you can do so. If you want to do work on a rented flat you may have to ask the landlord for permission.

It may also be that the owner is forced to make some reform or work of improvement and it is he who has to warn you.

One way or another, in the end it all depends on the type of works that are needed or want to be carried out in the rental housing.

On the one hand, there are the conservation works. That is to say, those that are necessary to conserve the floor in good conditions to live in it.

In the case of works of this type, you must inform the owner in advance. Basically you have to do it because he will have to pay for the works (unless you caused the deterioration).

To make improvement works in a rented flat

If the works are for improvement, i.e. they affect the health, hygiene or comfort of the dwelling and its occupants, the owner must inform the tenant before undertaking them.

In this case, he must notify the tenant at least three months before the work begins of the objective of the work, its duration and what it is expected to cost.

Finally, you may want to make works that modify the structure or configuration of the house. In this case you are obliged to inform the owner and the owner will have to give you a written authorization before starting.

If you do work without the permission of the owner, the owner can terminate the lease. It may also require you to restore things to the state they were in. So before making any kind of reform we recommend that you communicate it to your landlord.

If you want to know who has to pay the cost of these works, we recommend that you read this post in which you have all the information about who pays for repairs in a rented flat.

If you have more doubts about issues related to renting flats, you can visit our Tips section, where you will find a lot of information on this and other topics.

Or if you prefer, you can also contact your nearest Tecnocasa office. One of our agents will solve all your doubts about this or any other real estate issue.